In 1996 Haridimos Hatzidakis replanted a small vineyard which was abandoned since 1956, because of the large earthquake in Santorini. This vineyard of half hectare, which lies at an altitude of 330 meters, in the village of Pyrgos Kallistis, was cultivated organically with Aidani, an indigenous variety of Santorini.
An existing traditional small cave was transformed, in the summer of 1997, into a winery or ‘Kanava”, which is the traditional name of the wineries of Santorini. The first bottles of wine of the winery were released in May 1999, with the “Santorini”, harvested in 1998 and the Red “Mavrotragano» vintage 1997.
This was the beginning for the Hatzidakis Winery. Today, Hatzidakis Winery cultivates 100 acres of vineyards and most of them are organic.